The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Pulse Rifle availability in Canada and traveling with
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Got a couple questions for our northern members. Got a question about Pulse Rifles in Canada and I am not familiar with the laws. I figure Dom might be able to help.
1. How hard is it to get a pulse rifle in Canada?
2. Are suppliers allowed to ship?
3. What are available?
4. Do you suggest traveling across the boarder, say to DragonCon, with a Pulse Rifle? I know members have had issues in the past. Is it better to declare? I have traveled with my guns before but I went thru TSA and I know Canada is different.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Last edited by gman666 on Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pulse Rifle availability in Canada and traveling with
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:19 am 
Duke Bronson

1. Depends on what it's made of. Non-assembled sesin parts can be imported, airsoft without an importation license, no. I had to Han Solo mine in (years before I became a Customs Officer). I ordered a resin Shorty Spulse and it came in no problem. Licensed airsoft dealers can import them, and ultimately... they'll be expensive. I have seen an airsoft PR for sale Toronto Airsoft. http://www.torontoairsoft.com/Snow-Wolf-Alien-M41A-Pulse-Rifle_p_2233.html

2. Suppliers can ship all they like, but if the receiver isn't a license airsoft merchant, this is where it'll get seized. The importation of airsoft without proper licensing is prohibited. So basically, not in the passenger stream, only the commercial stream.

3. There are no local Canadian merchants of resin Pulse Rifles that I know of.

4. I see hunting rifles and handguns come in all the time here, but the issue is that these are licensed firearms with valid ownership and brought in by either a resident of Canada with a Possession and Acquisition License or a foreigner properly declaring and paying for a temporary importation license. The problem with airsoft and an assembled resin is that it falls under a replica category which is prohibited in Canada. So, again, you need to be a licensed commercial importer. I would not risk temporarily exporting my PR out of Canada for fear of losing it (and my job) upon return.

Hope this answers your questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:02 pm 

Hi Dom, you ever have any issues with a Pulse Rifle at conventions?

Post subject: Re: Pulse Rifle availability in Canada and traveling with
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:28 pm 
Duke Bronson

I have been to the following conventions in Canada as a Colonial Marine:

Con*Cept: First event in 2004, I was allowed to bring my Pulse Rifle, all other at later dates, they had a ban on all replica weapons.

Polaris: No issues, just needs to be seen by the weapons check.

You have to review the convention's policies and abide by them by the letter. DO NOT transport your PR outside unless it is in an opaque container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 pm 

Thanks MSgt!