The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Wee favour to ask
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:04 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Hi guys, I've sold a nut to be able to afford a HGC M41 off of ebay and the seller’s located in BC.

He’s wanting to change me almost C$200 for the shipping (to New Zealand) which strikes me as um, not quite right … esp given that 2 of the US-based ebay sellers quote approx US$60 to ship this to NZ.
I don’t *think* the guys trying to rip me off, I just think he’s er perhaps not so good a getting quotes; his 1st one was C$550 for shipping but that was using the muppet FedEx web tool thingie so I’m not really surprised by that one.

Anyways, was wondering if I could have this guy ship it to a local marine and then sort out the real shipping from there.

Sweetener: if it were to arrive in time, I'd even be ok with it being unboxing and used at DragonCon (might require a red tip painted on, which I'm also ok with).

Post subject: Re: Wee favour to ask
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:04 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
hammer-nb wrote:
I'd even be ok with it being unboxing and used at DragonCon (might require a red tip painted on, which I'm also ok with).

You most probably won't need to red/orange tip it at DC (other years no PRs needed it doing).

Also, just as info, the box it comes in is HUGE (and obviously very heavy), so travelling back yourself with it to NZ might not be so easy.

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:37 pm 
Duke Bronson

1. Canada Post is expensive. A lot more expensive than you think.
2. Unless he sends by XPresspost to me and I ship it XPresspost to me, you have very little chance of getting it in time for DCon. You'd have a much better shot with an American Marine.
3. Send it to me if you wish, postal code for your quote is H1N 2J4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:35 pm 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
I leave for Atlanta on Tuesday so I doubt if you shipped it you'd get it in time.
Now Dom has posted though you've got a better chance of getting it (that's just how awesome Dom is)

You can ship it direct to the hotel in Atlanta....but then if it's not there by Monday you're SOL.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:16 pm 

Sorry, might not have been clear, *I'm* not going to DCon [this year], but I'd be ok with a fellow marine using this for the drop (if it arrives to them in time of course).

There's no real rush on the posting it out to NZ.

Thanks Dom, I'll get it posted out your way. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:33 pm 
Duke Bronson

hammer-nb wrote:
Sorry, might not have been clear, *I'm* not going to DCon [this year]
No, you were clear... I however didn't read correctly your post from my iPhone.
hammer-nb wrote:
Thanks Dom, I'll get it posted out your way.
NP. You don't get the MVM and ALG awards from sitting on your thumbs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:11 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
SSgt Baldwin wrote:
You don't get the MVM and ALG awards from sitting on your thumbs.

You don't?

/removes thumbs......

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:53 pm 
Lifer

First off I hope this all works out in your favour... Despite the fact this was the Pulse Rifle I was hoping to snag last week. :wink: :lol:

I'd just like to echo what Dom said about Canada Post being much more expensive than is expected.

There may be some size/weight restrictions that will only allow the more expensive methods of Canada Post shipping to be used. In other words they just won't allow you to use the "basic/cheap" shipping options.

And has also been mentioned the HCG PR box is pretty damn big. And probably very heavy. I doubt the guy is out to scam you with his quote or that it is way off.

I think while it might be a little under the $200 quote if he were to actually take it to a Canada Post office and get an exact price (as opposed to plugging in the numbers on the Canada Post website), I'm pretty sure it is going to be up around that mark. I believe I sent a "hat" to Great Britain with Canada Post and it cost $45 for shipping.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:21 am 
Duke Bronson

Yep. What Kevin said. Furthermore, he doesn't sit on his thumbs either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:46 am 

@ Kevin
Yeah sorry fulla, I saw your post re picking that up for cheap and of course that was my plan too but in reality it looks as if this may end up costing more than if I’d just bought for one of the US based ebay sellers. *sigh*

Soooo, my thinking is this – *if* you were still interested in this PR, we might be about to come to some sort of deal as shipping it out of CAN is probably gonna cost me another nut :(

I saw your budget mentioned in the HGC thread and although I’m not prepared to take that much of a loss, I am happy to talk turkey. Maybe some sort of payment plan, if Dom doesn’t mind holding onto it for a wee while.

Strikes me a as possible win – not-quite-fail scenario; you get a PR and I chalk this up as a learning experience re shipping in Canada :oops: :roll: :)

Anyways, probably best it take this to PM. Maybe flick me a mail if you’re interested.

Cheers.
Aron.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:16 am 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Shipping by Canada Post IS expensive. I just mailed a FN49 rifle from Edmonton, Alberta to Small Town, Nova Scotia & after shipping, extra insurance to $700, must sign for the package then tax was just over $45 and will take 7-9 business days. Yeah, Canada Post sucks the big one
~insert picture of big one getting sucked by Canada Post~
Good luck with the purchase!

Mike