The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:53 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
But what about the giant turbine on the roof of the nest? Do we assume she and Ripley descended a partial level to account for that thing's height?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:32 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
retrogarde wrote:
But what about the giant turbine on the roof of the nest? Do we assume she and Ripley descended a partial level to account for that thing's height?

That's my assumption yet I'm still confused that there is light coming from the fan. Either there's a large grate over it or there's another Airway room like the one Newt falls through when Ripley tries to push her up the ladder after Gorman and Vasquez suicide.

If it is another Airway room, they would have had to travel downward quite a bit to stack them together.

I'm leaning toward another discrepancy. I don't think Cameron or the setmakers thought a few rabid fans would try to make what never really was 30 years later haha

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:11 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Yes agreed Moosh... They didn't really need to have it all mapped out to fit... They just needed a nest that Newt fled to... In reality, it's very exposed as a nest and not far away from a main corridor...

My own explanation is that it is under the raised floor area in Ops and is necessary for the cooling of the Ops area including all the computer equipment...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:27 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Moosh89 wrote:
ilovethecorps wrote:
I'm confused about the lift thing for Gorman and co... I can't recall them going into a lift or have I missed something?

I hope this makes it a bit more clear

https://youtu.be/zCgiFA7wkYM

I've never noticed that before! :shock:

Bearing in mind that the cut between each shot can 'hide' any length of time/distance/direction travelled, but still, outstanding research there. :D

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:47 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Here's my take on it. As Steve says, once the camera cuts away we really don't know how far the characters have travelled. Plus, the further the "nest" is from the hallway the safer it is for Newt.

Attachment:
nestcutaway.jpg
nestcutaway.jpg [ 75.19 KiB | Viewed 21563 times ]

nestcutaway.jpg
nestcutaway.jpg [ 75.19 KiB | Viewed 21563 times ]

Post subject: Re: Colony Map
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:11 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
While its status as "canon" seems to have taken a hit with the poor sales and reviews, how did the ACM game treat the hall/lift/features?

The last thing I want is to sidetrack this weith an argument of the merits of the game, but the plan when it was made was to be canon and a lot of research went into it. Makes me want to take a stroll around Hadley's hope and compare! (or at minimum see if the maps from the game guide are of any help)

Last edited by bigbisont on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:18 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

bigbisont wrote:
The last thing I want is to sidetrack this weith an argument of the merits of the game, but the plan when it was made was to be canon and a lot of research went into it. Makes me want to take a stroll around Hadley's hope and compare! (or at minimum see if the maps from the game guide are of any help)

I'm actually pretty good friends with the environmental artist who recreated Hadley's Hope for Bug Hunt. He said that he was limited to size and had to shrink the complex down considerably.

He also never had access to very much material so he just kind of watched the film and winged it. Turned out pretty great though!

Fun fact, in the game during Bug Hunt, if you look on the north side of Ops' door under the railing, you'll find he placed Casey there! He was sooo close to where we assume Newts nest is!

I plan to take a tour of Hadley's Hope Bug Hunt this weekend and capture a video.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:53 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

retrogarde wrote:
Here's my take on it. As Steve says, once the camera cuts away we really don't know how far the characters have travelled. Plus, the further the "nest" is from the hallway the safer it is for Newt.

Attachment:
The attachment nestcutaway.jpg is no longer available

I took yours and ilovethecorps' idea and created how I see it too

Attachment:
Newt Appearance and Nest.png
Newt Appearance and Nest.png [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 21543 times ]

Attachment:
Newts Nest Cutaway.jpg
Newts Nest Cutaway.jpg [ 362.85 KiB | Viewed 21543 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:16 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Love it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:05 am 

According to BHS (behind the scene) material air ducts and corridor set pieces was constructed in different parts as straits and L-turns (and some with removable wall sections [ducts] for cameras) so they could be used creating various parts of the corridors inside the colony complex. Mirrors were also used making corridors look longer. This makes most of the air duct action and several of the corridor shots inconclusive as for any real layout. Med lab and Ops was however one big set.

Here’s an old sketch I made ages ago for navigational reasons so I also put some details into it. Don’t remember if I have posted it here before.
Attachment:
Operations.jpg
Operations.jpg [ 147.39 KiB | Viewed 21519 times ]

Note: Operations are shown as before the alien assault of the colony; this noted as some furniture has different locations after colony’s last stand that is shown when the marines arrive. Med Bay is however portrayed as the Marine finds it.

/Jonsey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:39 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
Warning: Digression from topic.

OK, I no longer feel like a dork for posting 'Pulse Rifle Ammo; Reality, math and fantasy...' (http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15875) trying to figure out many PR rounds would fit into a M19A1 ammo can and providing a lot of math examples! To quote Moosh89: "I'm leaning toward another discrepancy. I don't think Cameron or the setmakers thought a few rabid fans would try to make what never really was 30 years later haha" You guys are as obsessive as the Blade Runner fans on PropSummit.com; bless ya!

I'm amazed as to the amount of time and effort you've put into this Moosh and I think it's very cool. This is an awesome community and I'm glad to have happened upon it. I really do appreciate the time and effort many of you have put into various projects and your willingness to share your thoughts, insights, tips and humor. Carry on!

Stand down: Digression over.

scoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

This thread is well worth developing further... Thanks to Moosh and Jonesy for your latest contributions... Much appreciated!

Moosh - loving your concept on Newt's hideout / nest and its location...

It's worth noting that they blocked the stairs and repaired the barricades but they knew they hadn't held for the colonists... I know it's obvious and they had the sentry guns... But they knew the Xenos had torn through it all before and would do so easily again..,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:04 am 

Moosh89 wrote:
Yes that image is directly from the data table. It was about a 10 second long clip that they played on it to simulate Ripley scrolling through it.

Where is that clip from? The extras on the bluray, or?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:31 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Rob wrote:
Moosh89 wrote:
Yes that image is directly from the data table. It was about a 10 second long clip that they played on it to simulate Ripley scrolling through it.

Where is that clip from? The extras on the bluray, or?

Sorry for the delay! Yes it is from the bluray set. The clip also has feeds from the Dropship, Ship roster and Motion Tracker

Took my first trip out for 2016 on Saturday, Sunday was my lazy day so next I'm going to be back at it.

Jonesy, thanks for that graphic! You're pretty close to what I've come up with! I'll try to furnish mine too and include those points of interest!

More later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:12 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Understanding the layout and orientation is very helpful...

It also shows just how desperate Burke was releasing those face huggers! And how small the retreat was!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:08 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Moosh - Any further developments? I'm really enjoying this thread! I'd also love to understand the route Drake takes when they head to Operations after Gorman first enters the complex on the Marines' arrival... He walks in past a number of what appears to be rows of lockers and there's s fluorescent tube / light broken away from the ceiling and hanging down...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

It's coming slowly!

That day off really threw me off but was soo needed, as I felt like I was burning my mind out from studying so much!

It's been hard to throw myself back into the depth that I had reached, the task is very daunting to map every little detail out and watch the film frame by frame haha

The scene in question is this:

Attachment:
Drake Medlab Path.png
Drake Medlab Path.png [ 727.56 KiB | Viewed 21361 times ]

I'm not entirely sure WHAT it is he is walking past, there's two rows of them, one wider AND longer than the other. On the side Drake walks on it appears like they're cabinets with small, flush handles (maybe the kind you press in to open) but on the other side they have what appears to be silver thermal foil sticking out.

And here is where I'm at with the Level 2 South end. I've kind of jumped around here and there so the rooms are not finished or furnished.

This is by using screens from the film and BTS photos I've seen.

Attachment:
Data Table Map Moosh's Interpretation V2 WiP.png
Data Table Map Moosh's Interpretation V2 WiP.png [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 21361 times ]

I have one screen from the Data table map before it morphs into the crazy map where it shows the general layout of this part of the colony including the rooms across the corridor. I haven't incorporated them into the map yet. Still trying to make sense of it
NOTE that it doesn't quite correspond to the final layout seen in the film, which is what my map follows.

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2016-03-20-14h46m33s388.png
vlcsnap-2016-03-20-14h46m33s388.png [ 502.77 KiB | Viewed 21361 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:41 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Moosh - thanks for all your hard work on this. Much appreciated. Just watching some scenes now... Looks like they are miniature refrigerator units stacked up... All identical... The reverse of the units have all the exposed coolant tubes etc. It's possible they obtained a load of rejects... Just watching the but in question where there cut through medlab to operations.

Looking at the breached barricade they get though it doesn't even teach the ceiling in the corridor. No wonder it didn't hold!

Keep the good work up, Moosh!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:09 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Yup, definitely look like small fridges. :-)

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:36 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Hey Moosh... Did you get any more development done on this?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:48 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

ilovethecorps wrote:
Hey Moosh... Did you get any more development done on this?

No, my PC went down. I just got it back, so I need to reload all my files and programs back onto it and find the time to dive back in. But thanks for keeping tabs on it! Keeps it fresh in my mind!

I'm looking forward to returning to Hadley's Hope soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:07 pm 

alien99 wrote:

Hi, are you still working on this project???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:09 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

I'm back to working my way around the colony. I have a request!

I need a clear illustration of the outer colony layout (as seen on the glass map in Ops) preferably in vector or EPS format so I can scale it without losing resolution.

I want to lay it over what I've come up with so far so I can see how much I've done.

Also do we know who came up with the data table map I posted? or even who all built the set? is it possible to contact them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:49 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

I hope someone can help with this, Melissa... I'm enjoying this thread!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:38 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Thanks, me too!

I'm kind of past the exterior vector need. I'm learning that no two illustrations are the same in scale, not even from production sketches and the data table image, to the actual set!

I'm trying to get it as close to what is seen on screen as possible.

I'd still love to find out who was involved in the creation of the set and data table image and contact them though! I think gaining a better understanding would definitely help find a happy middle ground as well as get their input on what areas we haven't seen might look like.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next