The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:30 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
ilovethecorps wrote:
This is a brilliant thread and I've no idea how I haven't found it before... Frustratingly enough I can't see the image posted by Willie...

His web site had a redesign a couple of years ago, so the image has probably moved.

The site doesn't work on my iPad (all of the menu buttons seem to point to the home page) otherwise I'd upload the moved image to here, so it's not lost again. :wink:

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
From the data table

Any help to decipher this jumble of lines would be appreciated! haha

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:09 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
All,

I'm loving reading all this...

I've often wondered what they were looking at (as in really looking at) when discussing how to seal themselves in and where to place the sentries etc...

There's a bit where Ripley says "...and we weld plate steel over the ducts here and here..." And Hicks says "Now all we need 's a deck of cards..." And they're pointing at this closeup, Moosh...

Where'd you get the screen cap? From the film? Blu Ray?

Anyway, I trained as a building services engineer and this confuses the hell out of me... Obviously there's no key for what is what but there's a very jumbled overlay of schematics... Ducts... Fans... Office and work space... I'm not sure what actually takes precedence on this diagram...

Ripley says "I want to see air ducts, I want to see electrical access tunnels, sub basements, every possible way into this complex..."

One overlay a time would have been enough...

I'll have a closer look...

Operations does seem to resemble the layout in the final battle... I'm trying to figure out if I can see where Burke locks the doors... I can see medlab... But from recollection they end up sealing themselves into a small foyer / lobby area before they go into the ducts after Newt... Can't make that out there...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Squee!! There are words on it labeling stuff! All these years of thinking it was unlabelled... screw you VHS!

Post subject: Re: Colony Map
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:48 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

OK, Here's the same image again, but with my own highlights/boundaries drawn on it

This is my interpretation of Level 2. I've based it on stills from the film, and a photo of a miniature diorama of Ops/Medlab from the production images on the bluray.

In the light blue room with the two doors Burke locks, in the film, the entrance to the vent is at the bottom of the image, directly across from the pink door leading to Medlab and next to the door from Ops. Burke gets attacked at the main Medlab door off the corridor.

The issue I am having with the vent entrance and whole system is in the film, Newt and Ripley remove the vent cover, Vasquez is next to them welding the door to Operations and Hicks/Gorman are fighting to open the door to Medlab. When the vent cover is removed, Ripley shines her light into the vent and you can see the vent turns right. Except where the film shows the vent entrance and the vent extending, it's past the exterior of the complex! We know the vent system reused the same portions of vent to make it seem more hectic, so there's gonna have to be some heavy artistic liberty to make it make sense!

Attachment:
Vent scene 1.png
Vent scene 1.png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 21923 times ]

Attachment:
Vent scene 2.png
Vent scene 2.png [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 21923 times ]

Attachment:
Vent scene 3.png
Vent scene 3.png [ 984.11 KiB | Viewed 21923 times ]

Attachment:
Vent scene 4.png
Vent scene 4.png [ 967.04 KiB | Viewed 21923 times ]

Here's the look inside the vent.
Attachment:
Vent scene 5.png
Vent scene 5.png [ 989.2 KiB | Viewed 21923 times ]

I studied the whole vent sequence, I've tried to follow Newts directions and also draw in all of the 4 way path crosses. I thought that they were moving toward south lock but they seem to move back toward North lock. Let me finish my studying on this and I will post it when I'm a little further. I had to scrap it because I didn't realize after Newt falls down to the sub basement sewer, they walk a short distance and emerge from the elevator at the North Lock entrance.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:27 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Absolutely fascinating. Great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:43 am 
Prop Churner Outer

This is amazing! So when Simpson walks from the windows (grabs a coffee) and meets up with Lydecker is he starting down where the map says "power"? I'm just trying to visualize it. And the hallway with the bigwheel kid, can we identify that?

My god Moosh, you've really hit on something here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:01 am 
Mobile Mayhem

retrogarde wrote:
This is amazing! So when Simpson walks from the windows (grabs a coffee) and meets up with Lydecker is he starting down where the map says "power"? I'm just trying to visualize it. And the hallway with the bigwheel kid, can we identify that?

My god Moosh, you've really hit on something here!

Haha I didn't really hit on anything yet, I'm just scratching the surface and it's thanks to people here!

I believe I can walk people through a couple scenes including the Simpson/Lydecker scene. Does anyone know of a screen recording program I can use to make a presentation to post?

I want to be clear that this isn't solid proof, this is just my understanding of the really confusing image above haha

Yes that image is directly from the data table. It was about a 10 second long clip that they played on it to simulate Ripley scrolling through it. All I did was captured screens of it and spliced them together to make a larger map. Too bad she didn't scroll over more of the complex!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:41 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
Moosh89 wrote:

I believe I can walk people through a couple scenes including the Simpson/Lydecker scene. Does anyone know of a screen recording program I can use to make a presentation to post?

Try SnagIt! if you are using a Windows PC or Mac https://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

Or if you need something more powerful, try their Camtasia app https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

Both have free trial periods for the full version.

-scoff

(P.S. Not a shill, but working in educational IT, I know a number of teachers/educators that use these products all the time.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:38 pm 

Subject to change, still lining elements up, etc.... Text clarity on the image I have is poor.

Ops Colony.png
Ops Colony.png [ 368.41 KiB | Viewed 21882 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Me again

Here's my interpretation of the map again with a more refined Operations room

And here's a guided video tour of Operations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKEXHkwMPZY

I will continue through the next few rooms later :delta:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:39 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Moosh... I have enjoyed reading your assessments and watching your walk through on YouTube. It's brilliant and I think you're 100% correct. I have watched the film so many times and I have always found the action disorientating... You've put so much into context... This has to be one of my favourite threads and I think once things are ironed out its one for the main archives! Brilliant! Thank you!

That's top class (Top Klassen!) investigative work... It makes sense that they had a semi permanent set made up... And the same parts of the set feature in other parts of the movie... You've done so much to help me understand the perspectives, camera angles and continuity...

Perhaps you might be able to draw out where Newt first appears (I believe they are stood around the medical table when Frost first registers movement on Hicks' tracker).... and Gorman passes the medical table and knocks something off the table causing them all to look around at him and go back to concentrating on the motion tracker...?

Also, where are the other two Sentry Guns?

Thanks Moosh! Keep it coming!

Last edited by ilovethecorps on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:50 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

So damn good Moosh. Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:11 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Thanks guys! Means a lot!

ilovethecorps wrote:

Perhaps you might be able to draw out where Newt first appears (I believe they are stood around the medical table when Frost first registers movement on Hicks' fracker).... and Gorman passes the medical table and knocks something off the table causing them all to look around at him and go back to concentrating on the motion tracker...?

Also, where are the other two Sentry Guns?

Thanks Moosh! Keep it coming!

I was going to do Newts appearance next after I reused Ops for the attack scene.

The sentries will be a bit more work because they're on two different levels. I believe two sentries are on the first level below ground

Level 2- Operations, Medlab
Level 1- North Lock and South Lock entrances
Basement- Tunnel leading to the Atmosphere Processor
Sub-Basement- Sewers where Newt falls

Two sentries are placed on Level 2, the other two are in the basement in the tunnel leading to the Atmosphere Processor.

The tunnel is visible on the map I posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:13 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

There's plenty of potential for matching up... Hicks stood on the table to look above the ceilings the xenos close in... Hudson grabbed... The Ops battle... Hudson and Vaz in the corridor etc...

Cheers Moosh!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:46 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

*Professor Farnsworth voice*

"Good news, everyone!"

This morning I got to work on capturing high resolution screens of the first scene that takes place in Medlab and the Annexe/stasis room just before Newt appears.

I'm going to be overhauling my crude maps once again so I may go back and remove previous postings and replace them with tidy accurate versions, because some of the rooms aren't shaped right in the first versions I posted.

I've successfully placed Newt and her nest but I'm going to need help in understanding how Newts nest works with the layout because in my mind it's clashing with other rooms.

Also because I could, I decided to capture a few goofy screens of the actors mid sentence making funny faces. Should be good for some hilarious new memes. Those will be posted in my Anthology Screens thread., as well as an album of exploding Xenos :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:51 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Once we're outside Ops/Medlab I get turned around. The hallway branches where Al and Lydecker stop and I swear one section of hall is heading diagonally right back at Medlab. But I could be turned around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:50 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Hey Moosh... Don't delete your previous work... Leave it there as it shows how your train of thought develops...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:08 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Just thinking about Newt's nest... It makes sense that it'd be within the confines of whatever the perceived perimeter of Operations etc the colonists barricaded themselves in on for their 'last stand'?

It would also be useful to try to determine where those barricades were...

My understanding was that the barricades were on the lower (ground) floor?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:19 am 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Outstanding work, Moosh!

Now all we need is a deck of cards. :wink:

Guessing the forum image upload won't allow such large images?

Edit: 4MB limit. :?

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:05 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

ilovethecorps wrote:
Just thinking about Newt's nest... It makes sense that it'd be within the confines of whatever the perceived perimeter of Operations etc the colonists barricaded themselves in on for their 'last stand'?

It would also be useful to try to determine where those barricades were...

My understanding was that the barricades were on the lower (ground) floor?

I have placed Newts nest under the raised floor of Ops. I'm going to try to understand how it could be there by making a side view cutaway graphic.

The barricades were on Level 2. I've got some behind the scenes photos from the bluray that show them. Just need to determine how many were set up. Also, when Gorman and Co. enter the complex at South Lock, you see they immediately take the elevator straight to Level 2. There's some discrepancy here though, because the elevator would be approximately where "stairway" is near Operations.

I learned by watching the bonus material that North Lock and South Lock were in fact the same set redressed, so that elevator is the very same elevator from North Lock that Hicks and Ripley emerge from near the end.

Also to support this, the very next scene after Gorman and Co. enter the complex and take the elevator, it shows them walking through a barricade that SHOULD be on the north side of Medlab/Ops.

Hope this makes sense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:02 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Hi Moosh - it makes perfect sense the nest being under
Ops...

I'm confused about the lift thing for Gorman and co... I can't recall them going into a lift or have I missed something?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:02 am 
Mobile Mayhem

ilovethecorps wrote:
I'm confused about the lift thing for Gorman and co... I can't recall them going into a lift or have I missed something?

I hope this makes it a bit more clear

https://youtu.be/zCgiFA7wkYM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:21 am 
Prop Churner Outer

So at the end of your video Moosh when Hicks says "Ripley" we're looking past him at the door to Operations. This is the same hall Simpson and Lydecker walk down and pass the MedLab door which our Marines just came through. Now at this point Newt is on the Operations side of the hallway, but she crosses back to the other side, right? Or back and then back again??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:12 am 
Mobile Mayhem

retrogarde wrote:
So at the end of your video Moosh when Hicks says "Ripley" we're looking past him at the door to Operations. This is the same hall Simpson and Lydecker walk down and pass the MedLab door which our Marines just came through.

Yes

retrogarde wrote:
Now at this point Newt is on the Operations side of the hallway, but she crosses back to the other side, right? Or back and then back again??

Heres a quick graphic of Newt's path during her appearance. The white squiggle is a pile of debris that she is hiding behind when she runs past the camera. She kind of runs slightly diagonal toward them and under the railing. When Hicks tries to grab her, she cuts under the grating and travels south a few feet and dives into a small vent tunnel (gold line) leading into Ops to her nest approximately under Simpson's office.

Attachment:
Newt Appearance.jpg
Newt Appearance.jpg [ 245.56 KiB | Viewed 21691 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next