The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:20 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
No... just no. Those guys messed up so much I wouldn't trust a single detail of their layout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:50 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Attachment:
sameroom.jpg
sameroom.jpg [ 630.77 KiB | Viewed 37090 times ]

This looks like the same room, redressed and re-lit for the three different scenes. Or is it one of two nearly identical rooms built along the same length of the hall? The thing that's throwing me is this shot:

Attachment:
aliens_5209.jpg
aliens_5209.jpg [ 77.41 KiB | Viewed 37090 times ]

Here they've already passed the doorway that I thought was reused as the storeroom (as in Moosh's animation above) just past the baracade. I need to rewatch the scene to see if it is a continuous shot or if there are some cuts.

My reason for fixating on this is that we can clearly see the far window behind Burke as he wheels the boxes out of the storeroom. This implies the far wall of the colony is right there, much closer than I'd assumed. But I guess it has to be anyway, as the dimensions of the colony are consistent everywhere except the Operations section.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:22 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Guys - just to say I am enjoying this discussion immensely. I realise there are different views and opinions - and in many respects we are trying to nail jelly to a wall.

Letd keep the discussions going... Thanks to all for your positive inputs. I'm going to have to take time and scratch my head a bit to catch up and get back in tune...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
retrogarde wrote:
Attachment:
sameroom.jpg

This looks like the same room, redressed and re-lit for the three different scenes. Or is it one of two nearly identical rooms built along the same length of the hall? The thing that's throwing me is this shot:

Attachment:
aliens_5209.jpg

Here they've already passed the doorway that I thought was reused as the storeroom (as in Moosh's animation above) just past the baracade. I need to rewatch the scene to see if it is a continuous shot or if there are some cuts.

My reason for fixating on this is that we can clearly see the far window behind Burke as he wheels the boxes out of the storeroom. This implies the far wall of the colony is right there, much closer than I'd assumed. But I guess it has to be anyway, as the dimensions of the colony are consistent everywhere except the Operations section.

Thoughts?

I've saved a lot of shots from the helmet cameras, as they get some good looks around the rooms. We know that Hudson/Vasquez take Level 1 and Hicks/Drake take Level 2. Once I can figure out the length of the proposed colony I should be able to place them where they might have been in universe

But we do know that, yes, these rooms were reused because the total length of the set was only 400 feet. (Still quite impressive!)

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Given that the basic structures that the colony is comprised of are uniform in size (looking at North, West and East airlocks in particular) what do we make of the fact that Hicks and Drake enter a room off the main hallway and encounter a broken exterior window only like 10 feet from the doorway? Do we integrate that into our understanding of the colony scale or just fudge it as this drastically reduces the colony's size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:24 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Hi retrogarde... Yes I had noticed this... In my past studying I had just assumed it to be sort of a continuity error... Mind you, overall, some of the widths of the 'units' used to build he colony mean that, by the time you take out the walkways and spec taken up by the hexagonal shapes there doesn't seem to be a lot of space left for rooms... In fact, that seems similar when Hudson and Vasquez find the hamster in the cage... The rooms don't seem deep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Hey guys

I'm still studying this like mad (over a year now of close observation!) and soon, I think some of my efforts will be shown :D

Knowing that the true set in existence was nowhere near the perceived size of the colony, I've followed the film cuts to come up with a gauge of how it should have been if it truly existed (confused yet? :P)

I believe each level's "main corridor" are offset from each other. See hastily sketched drawing attached.

On arrival, Hicks and Drake take the stairs up immediately after entering North Lock, as Hudson and Vasquez investigate the main corridor on Level 1. When Hicks emerges at the top of the stairs on Level 2, he's right in the middle of the main corridor. This shows the Level 2 main corridor is shifted over to the West

Also, same general area now, towards the end of the film. Ripley and Hicks lose Newt under the Basement. Hicks pulls Ripley from the main corridor in the Basement and they run a length of corridor in the East direction to a waiting elevator at the end. When they reach the surface/Level 1, they emerge flush with the Level 1 main corridor (although the elevator is between the two bulkhead doors of North Lock...)

Thoughts? Am I onto something here? lol

Attachment:
Main Corridor Offset Lvl 1-2.jpg
Main Corridor Offset Lvl 1-2.jpg [ 694.86 KiB | Viewed 36553 times ]

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:48 am 

Moosh89 wrote:
Hey guys

I'm still studying this like mad (over a year now of close observation!) and soon, I think some of my efforts will be shown :D

Absolutely they will be shown :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:00 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Well that makes a lot of sense right there Moosh! Great observation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:11 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Hi Moosh - I think I understand what you mean, yes... I had always assumed things were stacked directly on top of on another but perhaps not... surely though the systems would be modular?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:34 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
ilovethecorps wrote:
Hi Moosh - I think I understand what you mean, yes... I had always assumed things were stacked directly on top of on another but perhaps not... surely though the systems would be modular?

They could have cheated and reused the same set pieces just filming the area differently...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:40 pm 
The Hugger of Destruction TechnoSasquatch

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.22140E1
ReUsed would mak sense as these are Prefabricated buildings, thus will be very Uniformed.

Pvt.
STEAD,J "TECKNO VIKING"
A06/TQ1.0.22140E1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:27 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
TECKNO VIKING wrote:
ReUsed would mak sense as these are Prefabricated buildings, thus will be very Uniformed.

Not reused in that sense. It is an old filming trick to safe on set build outs, however, they did take over a power plant, so there is the possibility that this could have all been different sections of the power plant itself. If so I would love to have seen how they worked in the acid damage on the floor plating...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:19 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

The Acton power plant was only used for sections of the Atmosphere Processor. The colony complex was built on the soundstage. As I noted a few pages back they did reuse sections of the set for different rooms in the colony during the sweep.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8