The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Q: "What is the correct 'Olive Drab' paint?"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:29 pm 
Hello Everyone!

Just wondering: I'm about to paint an SD Studios Pulse Rifle shroud and I was wondering what the correct Olive Drab paint color is? I'm not doing it in Humbrol (which I know is a very brown color).

Is there a paint in Spray Can form that's accurate? I have some Krylon 8143 Olive Drab paint, which looks extremely close, but maybe "a little too green".

Just wondering, what is the color and does it have to be custom mixed by a paint store or something? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: Correct Olive Drab Paint Color???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:55 pm 
Hi sci fi collector,

The correct colour to use is Humbrol 170 ('Brown Bess').

Sadly it was recently discontinued and so far, while there have been some approximate matches suggested, there hasn't been one that's an exact equivalent.

Harry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:30 pm 
Thanks for the reply Harry!

I'll keep messing around with some different mixes. Luckily, I have a painted SD shroud to compare colors to… it's just hard to nail down the right green/brown mix.

By the way, I think I saw you on TV recently. It was some documentary on the Aliens movies (all 3 of them). That's very cool! I know you have a huge screen-used collection. That's awesome!

Thanks so much for your input. Take care Harry!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:38 pm 
My pleasure.

Yes, all of my four seconds of fame was in a documentary called The Alien Saga. ;)

Harry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:23 pm 
Think of it this way Harry, you still have another 14 minutes and 56 seconds coming to you.;)

Kevin
The Sarge's Site
[url=http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ssgtburton/lst?.dir=/Sarge%27s+Pics&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t
&.done=http%3a//ca.photos.yahoo.com/]Sarge's Pics[/url]

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:32 pm 
If you cannot find any Bess Brown, try and get a sample........your local hardware store should be able to match it perfectly. If they cannot, try and auto paint shop.

Steve

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]